Find Grief Support Specialists in your area
Our specialists facilitate both groups and one-on-one work. Look in their directory listing to see what programs they lead.
What is The Grief Recovery Method® Support Group?
- Our Grief Support Groups provide a safe environment for you to look at your old beliefs about dealing with loss, which losses have affected your life, and take actions that will lead you to complete unresolved emotions that may still be causing you pain.
- It’s an action-based group that involves reading and writing assignments outlined in The Grief Recovery Handbook – 20th Anniversary Expanded Edition.
- It’s not a drop in group. You’ll either do an 8-week group format or a 7-week one-on-one format depending on your preference and availability.
- Each Grief Support Group is facilitated by one of our Certified Grief Recovery Specialists. Specialists come from all walks of life and professional backgrounds, but have on thing in common: a desire to help people.
Are you suffering from a broken heart?
Did a death, divorce, or the end of a romantic relationship cause it? Or was it caused by any of the forty other losses that a person might experience such as moving, pet loss, or a change in finances? Regardless of the cause, you know how you feel and it probably isn’t good.
We aren’t going to tell you, “We know how you feel,” because we don’t. Neither does anyone else. What we will do is provide a safe environment where you will be given specific tools to help you recover from loss and ultimately lead a happier life.
Grief is the normal and natural emotional response to loss, but most of the information we’ve learned about dealing with loss is intellectual. Although our Grief Support Groups involve some educational elements, effective Grief Recovery must deal with your broken heart, which requires emotional support instead of intellectual explanations.
Myths about Grief
- Time heals all wounds
- Replace the loss
- Grieve alone
- Be strong
- Don't feel bad
- Keep busy
People say you have to let go and move on in your life, but they don’t tell you how. The Grief Recovery Method Support Group, developed and refined over the past 30 years, teaches you how to recover from loss with supportive guidance every step of the way.
Who is it for?
Grief Recovery Method Support Groups are for anyone who has experienced any kind of loss.
Is it Ever Too Soon to Join one of our Grief Support Groups
- No! It is never too soon to address your grief. If you broke your leg would you wait to call the doctor? The why wait to get help when you break your heart?
- You’ve probably heard that time heals all wounds. That piece of misinformation creates the idea that you just have to wait to feel better. We have known people who have waited ten, twenty, thirty, and forty years, and still didn’t feel better. And they would tell you that not only had time not healed them, but also it compounded the pain. It’s not time that heals, but what you do within time.